Monday, July 27, 2009

How UW Logogate makes me feel as a recent Grad

I posted a rant in the facebook group a week or two ago, and instead of re-pasting it here, I thought I'd start anew, as new facts have come to light.

I still don't like the new logo, and it's getting justified by the upper levels (and with some of the comments it really feels like it's only coming out of academia land, which we all know generally has no real world experience) and while I do agree UW is all about innovation and risk taking, I guess this is just one of those things you wouldn't expect nor possibly want Waterloo to take a risk on.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems these days that youth want nothing to do with old, well established, prestigious brands, the kinds of brands our parents and even grandparents grew up loving, respecting and vying to be a part of. Youth like to turn away from what their elders like, they like to have something newer, something their own, something fresh and up to date, that excludes the "dinosaurs". Many youth want to rebel, which is pretty natural, and how do you do that best? By finding your own way, a way that isn't that of your parents. I know that when I was younger, many of my friends wouldn't want to be caught dead associating with their parent's brands (unless it was the alcohol they stole, and grew a strong affection for!).

Despite all that I did just say above though, there are exceptions to the rule. Education. You aren't just buying knowledge and experience, you are buying into a brand, a level of prestige and respect that comes with your decision. This is something that you will probably associate with for the rest of your life. Imagine you are or were that (perhaps only somewhat) rebellious teen. You start to grow a little out of that rebellious stage now, you are graduating high school, on the cusp of becoming a legal adult, and you are ready to start acting like one...well at least you are willing to start looking at those dinosaur brands again, because now you are more concerned with looking good and showing off (and being able to make maximum moola), and this is the only way you know how. You start browsing the education index for your best combination of education, culture, prestige, and opportunity. Many a youngster decide to follow in their parents' footsteps and go to their schools.

Many of the students I met while going through UW went to the university specifically for the reputation and prestige they'd receive upon graduating, of course they knew it was one of the best schools, co-op is great, but they wanted the backing of that recognized symbol, that symbol that perhaps their parents, or other adults they respect or admire associated with. These youths wanted the prestige that came with the dignified UW logo. I know it may sound bad, but going through the hell of UW, spending the $40,000+ on tuition and books, it gives you a sense of entitlement, which I've heard isn't uncommon in Generation Y. I know that after what I've been through, I feel accomplished, I feel that I worked hard for my reputation, and while I shouldn't be entitled to things for free, I should be treated with a greater level of respect as someone who got a degree in a school requiring a 95+ average to get into than the guy who went to a school requiring a 70+ to get in; I also feel like I can scoff at those institutions that offer educations advertised in cheesy commercials (which may or may not include tv/vcr repair). So how am I to feel when suddenly the logo that represents my feelings, my reward for my hardships, my educational legacy, and the level of respect I deserve, is transformed into something that would fit on the library shelf between DeVry and ITT Tech? I don't want to sound like an asshole who doesn't respect other people who took different paths than I did, or who didn't have high enough grades, because we all know that it doesn't really matter, but I do want to be associated with the brand I spent blood, sweat, tears and 5 years for and the perks that come with it.

Of course people will probably still realize that UW is one of the best, that it is an incredibly hard school and it's grads are war vets ready for taking on the world, but I don't think that message is clear, I think the signals get mixed with they see a capital W full of Lasers. UW shouldn't need to instill that kind of imagery with their logo, it should be doing it already, and if it's not, that I don't think the logo is the issue, I think it's something a bit deeper. Who tends to use the most trendy and imagery instilling of logos in the education field? Probably those who are trying to catch attention and attract people who like cool fast looking laser beams, thinking, holy crap, it's gotta be good if looks somehow futuristic! (They'll be disappointed when they realize it's just the cover art for the Math137 textbook).

Lasers, like robots, aren't the first thing that make me think of the future, especially when they've been talked about for longer than my parents have been alive and actually exist today.

What about all those people who have already graduated and are living off their reputations? Do they really want that changed on them? I sure as hell don't, and I only graduated last year! Suffice to say, I don't know if I'll be giving any donations when they decide to start calling me each year.

Perhaps kids are different now, and they want that flashy logo to attract them. Perhaps this is why Pepsi changed their branding and style? I can't stand the new Pepsi branding and I'm a Pepsi guy.

Some end notes:
Here's a hilarious video about UW Logogate.
If you do watch that video on Facebook from the administration explaining their process, be prepared for something incredibly dry, boring and slow. For a potentially exciting process, the speaker seems not excited at all and she sounds like she is reading out of a text book. I like to associate UW with passion, but there doesn't feel to be any in this process.
I also agree with the tweet from Jesse Rodgers here

No comments:

Post a Comment