Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hours of Mind-Boggling Deal Digging Leads to a Surprise Purchase!

So I've been doing lots of research lately looking into big TVs, and at the advice of someone I trust, I've been looking at RedFlagDeals.ca many times a day. I started out looking for a 52" TV for under $2000, then I decided, whatever, lets get a bigscreen, but cheaper 720p for around $1000, then I went back up to 50" 1080p for under $1800. I was then considering getting a bigger TV to keep up with the common size increases expected to come over the years so suddenly I was looking at $3000 54" and $4000 58" models. I've been mostly looking at the Panasonic Viera G series and up, and there haven't been too many deals, although a 54" G series for 3K wasn't too bad I thought, but then I saw a 60" LG for $2000! Everyone said LG was crap, and I've noticed they are cheap as hell compared to top tier brands, but I thought perhaps after all those issues they've really picked it up.

Of course this was off a forum topic on RFD, and the online price was put up to $2500. Still, a 60" for $2500 is not bad, and a new model, and my GF reminded me that within 2 or 3 years much better 60" TVs will probably be a lot cheaper, so it doesn't really have to last that long, and we'll be making real money so that won't be a big deal. I thought, shit, fuck all the crazy awesome features now, I'm not a TV tweaker, so I don't need the super specs, and justify the little differences in picture isn't easy, not unless you work around or with those TVs every day. I figure if we get something very big and still half decent, like 1080p, and not a bottom level tier TV, we can make it. So This RFD thread posted a pic of the $2000 price at BB and his receipt of the price match from FS. I was prepared to print and bring into the nearest FS, but I thought I'd call first, and they don't actually stock them in stores. BUT, he said that the TV was already now price matched at the $2000, so that was a very sweet unadvertised deal! But even better, he mentioned that they had a 65" on for $2500 and with that he'd throw in a free wallmount and delivery/install/hookup/tweak! I thought holy crap, that seems like a good deal for a huge TV, and a Sharp Aquos from last year to boot! It was a floor model, we found out it had only been out since February, and they were selling them before this at 3-4000 just to get rid of them. We got them to switch out the mount that would make it impossible to plug stuff into for a nice stand, which we comped the rest of the price, and we got a discounted rogers HD box, so after all the discounts we got it for a solid $3300 after tax.

Not bad for a 65" Sharp Aquos 1080p system, a nice $500 stand, and a new Rogers HD box. It'll be delivered next weekend, so we have lots of time to rearrange the room and figure out which furniture we might want to get or replace!

Note: I would have seriously considered getting a Samsung LCD TV, but after all the shit they've put me through, I don't want to get disappointed and throw more of my money away into a brand that betrayed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment