Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Most Pathetic and Hilarious Commercial Ever!

I almost died laughing last night, and so did Sarah.
We were watching TV (very rarely do this live), so I experienced some commercials, some horrible, some just goddamn awesome!

First the warm-up, there were 2 commercials that were fairly awesome, although I can't remember what the second one was for.

The first one was about Scotch-Koreans and Starburst as a contradiction, and now as I Google it I realize it's been out for awhile, but nonetheless a good change from the regular crap. The commercial is found here.

The second one is hard to find because I can't really remember it, apart from some guy stuck in a tube on a gameshow talking about his cell phone contract I think, and then dancing Indian women and a guy from a completely different country/culture. I think he was talking to call techs from India in some sort of gameshow.

Anyways, on to the truly classic stuff, and I wish, I really do, that I could find this commercial online, but I just can't (it might be quite new and time sensitive).
EDIT: FOUND IT!!!! Horrible quality, but it's here! (I think they changed the Walmart talking part in this one so it sounds a lot longer)

The commercial starts and there is some young girl, a tween, and her mom on a couch leaning forward, really intently watching some movie, it zooms to the girl's face and tears are running down her cheeks, and she whispers, almost trembling, "I Love You" along with the voice in the tv. The commercial than zooms out and says: "Twilight: New Moon, coming to Walmart at 12:01 am date x!" and then the commercial ends! That's it, it was like 15 seconds, and there was no joke!!!

I was just waiting for something stupid to happen, for someone to mock her or make fun of her, or for there to be some sort twist, but there wasn't! That was just it, that was the commercial! It was just some little girl who was so pathetically giving her life into this movie, crying and taking on the role (of either the male professing his feelings or the female shell returning it) whispering "I Love You". I was waiting for the parody in the commercial, it felt so much like it deserved to exist and it took me a few seconds to laugh the first time I watched it, because I didn't know what hit me, I had to take time to process what actually just happened; and I believe the marketers at Walmart have outdone themselves! They've in fact created a parody of life itself, so true, yet so sad, and they managed to put it on prime time television without anyone noticing! They sold a dream to young tweens, an outlet for them to play out their fantasies and not be alone. They've found a way to pull moms and their kids out to midnight madness sales for the release of this dvd/bluray. I think anyone outside the intended audience would die laughing, such as myself, realizing that there was no kicker, they are just blatantly pointing out how utterly pathetic these kids look! For Profit! And they are trying to be completely serious about it!

They really seem to be shamelessly pushing for that emotional buy combined with an opportunity for fangirlism to the extreme at a midnight release!

I was truly delighted to see Sarah's reation, it was so great, she watched it, and about 5 seconds into the next commercial she just started laughing uncontrollably, and it kept going, I could feel her catch on that that was it, that the commercial was over and there was no kicker, it was just that sad display! It is truly something to marvel at, and again I wish I could link to it, but I cannot find it. If you find it, please post it in the comments! I'm wondering if it may be more funny viewed live, because you cannot believe your eyes and it's mixed in with other real commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment