Tuesday, September 8, 2009

RSS is not dead! It works great with Twitter!

People keep saying that RSS is dead, but I don't believe it, in fact I've never used RSS more than I do now! I found that I started using RSS after I started getting into Twitter. Perhaps that has to do with me having a job in Social Media and using that as an excuse to start using these tools, but suffice to say, I believe that I would miss a lot of information if I didn't use my RSS reader in conjunction with Twitter.

I would consider myself a Twitter power user, with the exception of having it mobile (I'm too cheap, and I'm never far from a computer). I follow a lot of people I deem important who are constantly shooting out valuable blog posts, and it gets to the point where my Firefox grows to 26 tabs open to catch up with all the links I missed before opening Twitter at work. I'm constantly opening bit.lys to get to new blog posts, links, articles, but I do know that if it's something they thought was important enough to write their own blog post about, I won't miss it. I can sometime skip over posts and just check my RSS reader later to catch up on what was said on my own time, without chancing either losing the tab, or forgetting about the link posted in real time.

My RSS is like a backup net, it lets me take some of the real time out of twitter and focus on the things that aren't as potentially important, like the interesting links and articles, as well as conversations. As I start to learn about more interesting people on Twitter, I can keep adding them to my feed reader. Thanks to PostRank I can also filter the crap!

Realtime is only good if you are there all the time, and while I try to be, sometimes I'm just too busy and when I do try to catch up, I get a million links to read at once. I usually try to leave the tabs on FF open to read later, but eventually it starts to slow everything down on my computer.

RSS is a great way to store articles for reading later, especially when some people blog about the important articles I may have missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment