Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Nightmare on MS SQL Street

Why is it that everytime I start blogging, it always comes back to how stupid ASP.NET and Microsoft products are?

I had the worst headache and lost 2 days worth of working time trying to uninstall and reinstall ms sql server, which I will recount one day, but I'm trying to forget already.

PROTIP: NEVER uninstall 2005 express if you are developing on it, because it's a pain in the ass to reconnect to after!

I ended up where I started, but with one extra management tool, which was for MS SQL 2005, although it crashed depending on how I used it, so I had to use a combination of that and the MS SQL 2008 management tool which also crashed most of the time.

I have an express database which after the nightmare I was able to recreate in MS SQL 2008, and create a .bak file to transfer to my webhost as there is no other easy way to export and upgrade to a true instance and I didn't want to copy over my test data or erase it on my local machine.

Now I get this stupid error when I try to create a user:

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.



Yay, just what I need, and it's hard to figure out, it probably has to do with hosting not being set up properly to interact or it's some legacy crap that has to work with the old ASPNETDB instance and how it handles authentication, but I don't know.

I was able to eliminate that error on a number of other pages as I noticed the data adapters were set to straight use ASPNETDB instead of my ConnectionString, but in my CreateAccount files I can't find any reference to ASPNETDB or ConnectionString. It's that goddamn CreateUserWizard that is probably doing something funky, perhaps there is something else in my web.config file I need to fix.

There are about a million different posts out there apparently on this same error and it has a bit of a range, so I'm no closer to uncovering the issue.

I wish moving to a live environment was easy :(

Add on:
I actually solved my problem while writing this blog, and did have to change some things in the web.config! Feels good to solve the problem by writing out my thought process.

Now I just have to deal with the next set of errors! blech

No comments:

Post a Comment