Friday, May 8, 2009

Finding a good web host

So I recently had a horrible experience with 1and1.com, a large webhosting provider, apparently according to many random people in a lifehacker open thread, they were one of the best, so I signed up with them. A day or two later I go in to check it out and play around, see how the database works, and I'm immediately thrown off, I see a MySQL manager, but no MS SQL manager, and I'm thinking, hmm perhaps I just can't find it. Lots of searching later, panicking, doubting myself for wondering how in the hell I could buy windows hosting that doesn't come with MS SQL, I ended up research the web for how I can just use MySQL, and what I found was complicated, poorly documented, and sounded like I'd have to rewrite my whole app.

So I go back to their homepage, and find the database option which is hidden, and it says MySQL, and I'm thinking, I would have swore it was MS SQL! Later I realized I was on the Linux tab, and now the Windows tab, then I had a sigh of relief, I wasn't crazy, I should have it. So I go back in to my hosting and browse through every PDF, and find mention of an MS SQL tool, but I still can't find how to access it, the images all look wrong compared to what I got.

Then it hit me, somehow I got stuck with motherfucking linux hosting. I go back and check my bill, sure enough that's what on there! How the hell did this happen?? I know I couldn't have signed up for Linux, so I call the company at the worst time, when I'm starving and upset at lunch. Billing says I can pay $10 bucks to changeover, or I have to buy a whole new account, then get the tech team to transfer my free domain, then I have to use my money back guarantee on the first one. Seems like some effort, but ok, so they put me over to the tech guy, I re-explain the situation and he tries to take me through the menus to switch it where it would cost me, I ask him if it will cost, because it should be free, you guys fucked up, he says, oh well you could sign up for the new account, but the small text in the agreement states that you will lose your 6 months at half price option as you are no longer a new customer. I'm furious and starving, so I hang up and go to lunch.

Later in the afternoon, I decide to call back and talk to someone else on billing, I explain my situation, I say I just signed up for service, you guys fucked up and gave me the wrong hosting, and now you want me to pay to fix your mistake, is that what you are saying? She says "Yep, That's pretty much it". I say, then fine, I'm going to cancel my account, she says, "Ok, now I just need your password to verify your account". She didn't even fucking try to keep my business! what the hell is that? I ask if I can email it, she says no, I say I'm not saying my password outloud in the office, so I'll call back later.

I call back later from my car, give my password, wait on hold for 5 minutes, then as I finally get frustrated again, I'm off hold and she asks if I'd like to say why I cancelled, I said I sure would, I told her you guys fucked up and wanted to charge me, so I'm out, she says ok, Thanks. I say bye.

Wow, what a pile of shit their customer service is. In the afternoon I did a twitter search for 1and1.com and guess what I found? all complaints and warnings. Goddamn I should search twitter more before hand!

When I did get the survey, I gave them a very bad rating and put in a few choice words on their behalf.

Let's see if my new hosting lives up to standards. I found Arvixe after doing some more research and found some good ratings, and they give you lots of unlimited stuff.

If you want to sign up, please use my link!
http://www.arvixe.com/201.html

No comments:

Post a Comment