Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Another Twitter Shirt Meme Attempt...More Lessons Learned!

Wow, totally lamesauce! There's always competition on the Internet, even when it's localized and real-time!

Shortly after the quake I tweeted about how it was my first earthquake and got this reply about how I can say I survived the Quake, I rushed as fast as I could (using a slow work comp with an overworked lagging firefox) to make a shirt on CafePress for the lulz. It's been about 2 hours and I'm up to 498 clicks! Tons of retweets and hashtag comments. It's always fun to see how fast it spreads as I've done this once before here. I looked at a number of the retweeters and could tell a bunch were clearly connected to my network, and a few various others that seemed random. It would be cool to see some sort of weblike visualization and I'm sure there is a twitter app for that, but I'm just too lazy to sift through hundreds to find it.

I was about to comment on how it's interesting to see someone I follow retweet me through someone else who isn't following me, so I went to follow the trail and found it went dead 2 people in. I was like hunh? Wait, that's not even my link! Some other dude also made a shirt, but at another site (and with much better skill). Argh, he's a TO guy so he had a huge TO network retweeting it like mad and mucho facebook sharing (which I didn't want to bother spamming). I wonder if he had the same idea, or saw mine and rushed to copy it to compete/look original? Also saw a few replies with others who made shirts. I guess it's a popular meme! The difference in the slogans being that he called it the Toronto Quake, which just goes so well with this tweet:

Toronto's ego is having a hard time letting go of the fact that it wasn't the epicentre of the earthquake.


I guess I'll have to be even more original next time! I should have quickly registered the domain and made a music video instead >:( Goddamn work interfering with my spontaneous plans for 5 minutes of twitter fame!

No comments:

Post a Comment